Friday, February 18, 2011

Using Blogs to Integrate Technology in the Classroom

Hey All!! 

I decided to make this post about how blogs can be used in the classroom.  This was my first blog but it won't be my last.  The article pointed out a lot of what I've already learned by just creating my blog.  A blog is a great way for teachers to communicate information and a great way to introduce students to technology. 
Although teachers have their individual web page on their school websites; a blog will be a way the entire class can work together.

The article points out the Educational Benefits of Blogs as:
* Highly motivating to students, especially those who otherwise might not become participants in classrooms.
* Excellent opportunities for students to read and write.
* Effective forums for collaboration and discussion.
* Powerful tools to enable scaffold learning or mentoring to occur.

All of these are important to our students but the one that really stuck out to me was that blogs are "an excellent opportunity for students to read and write".  Text and instant messaging have become so popular amongst this generation.  The one requirement I will have for my students is that they don't use the short codes they use in text and instant messaging.  Writing is extremely important yet teachers are not given enough time to teach the subject.  Using a Blog with our students can help develop writers in our classroom.

Think of how rewarding this will be!!

No comments:

Post a Comment